Sunday, January 16, 2005

On Being a Lay Theologian

Alright, this is a serious blog, despite the titillating title. It is intended for theological discussion on a host of issues as they arise, however, it is primarily intended to get people to read what I want them to read and to discuss it at a time of my own choosing.

Here's how it will work. If you want to join the conversation, you'll have two ways to do so. 1) you can read the book at hand and make original postings reflecting your reading of that book. If you choose to do this, you will become a co- administrator of the site and can post at any time. 2) if you want to read the blog without reading the text at hand, you can participate by comments only. If you chose to make comments that are equal to or greater in moronic-tude than my own comments, they may very well be erased.

There is great debate today about Truth and who owns it. I am not an expert in the topics to be discussed, but that is not a requirement for good theology to be practiced. There may well be some who end up reading this with far more theological education than I have now, or will ever have. But truth is about persuasion and dialogue. We all stand where we stand and do our best to stand there with integrity. Hopefully in participating together in this conversation, we may find times to mutually influence one another and by doing so, find ourselves further down the road of understanding.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachie Rach and the Funky Bunch said...

I want to be the first moron to post on this blog! Great idea, Jimmy. Unfortunately, I do not know if I have the "theological fortitude" to contribue to some discussions on here, but I just may well try.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Javier said...

Does this mean our social contract now requires me to comment on both your blogs?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Theophilus Punk (PLStepp) said...

May I join the conversation?

I knew McClendon slightly: he was visiting professor at Baylor for a semester while I was working on my Ph.D. there, and he read and commented on a paper I wrote for an ethics seminar. Somewhere around here I have a letter he wrote me after going back to California. Anyway.

I always thought the biographical and autobiographical aspects of his theology were fascinating and powerful--even as he claimed he wasn't writing AUTObiographical theology.

McClendon seemed (and seems) to me to offer a great example of how to be productively disillusioned with Christendom from the inside--kind of a Cockburn thing.

PLStepp (Circleslide)
http://theophiluspunk.blogspot.com
http://campus.kcc.edu/faculty/plstepp

8:06 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker